You can’t eat just one bowl.
It’s the time of year when all we’re craving is a hot, flavorful bowl of soup. This recipe though, isn’t the kind of heavy, nap-inducing recipe that the winter months are known for. This Avgolemono Chicken Soup stays true to Chef Pano’s signature style of using bright, fresh ingredients to create a dish that’s both healthy and delicious. Avgolemono is the mother sauce in Greece that’s typically made by combining braising liquid from whatever you’re cooking with eggs, lemon juice, and a few other ingredients. The result is a creamy, flavorful sauce that isn’t too thick and perfectly compliments the dish you’re cooking. Check out Chef Pano’s demo from Ponce City Market’s Farmer’s Market and learn to make this delicious dish.
Chef Pano’s recipe for Avgolemono Chicken Soup
For the chicken: 1 Chicken Breast 2 Cups Milk 1 Clove Garlic 3 Sprigs Thyme Kosher Salt, to taste White Pepper, to taste For the barley: 1 tbsp. Canola oil 1 tbsp. Shallots, minced 1 cup Organic pearl barley 2 ¼ cups water 1 bayleaf Kosher Salt, to taste White Pepper, to taste For the soup: 1 quart chicken stock 7 each egg yolk 1 cup lemon juice 2 cups arugula, julienned 1 cup basil, julienned ½ cup scallions, chopped
- Cook the Chicken: Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and place all ingredients in a pot.
- Gently bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Cook the Barley: Sweat shallots in canola oil for one minute then add the barley.
- Pour in the remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook on low for 20 minutes or until done.
- Prepare the Soup: Place stock and eggs in a pot, bring to simmer and blend with a hand blender or whisk continually.
- Season with lemon, salt and pepper and garnish with arugula, basil & scallions.